Monday 11 July 2011

Man up!

Something that has really been grinding my gears recently is how the Christian guys I know treat the Christian girls I know.

Girls have become a way for guys to give their own egos a boost. We take the piss, make snide comments and generally a joke of the girls we know- using them as a stepping stone to a few cheap laughs, and therefore some sort of worldly gratification

Now, many people reading this will be thinking 'Wow Josh- Chill out, It's only banter' or 'Who is this guy to be talking about this'. These thoughts did cause me some troubles in writing this, and I hope you come to understand how dangerous 'banter' can be, and also I don't claim not to be guilty of what I am talking about- It is a change in myself that I am seeking and praying for.

It would all be very well if the raking/banter didn't have an outcome, but I believe it does. I think that this banter is limiting the potential that the girls i know see in themselves. They have almost accepted the role in the social circles that men have put them into, and many actually play into it. How many intelligent and incredible girls do you know that play dumb or silly, belittling themselves to the joke of the group?

Another way of looking at it is this... If you found someone taking the piss out of your own sister constantly, making a joke of her and you watched her limit herself for that person so she could have some sort of significance or role- What would you think about that? I know if someone treated my sister Emma as I treat some girls, I would be furious and I would not stand for it. The truth of it is this- Every woman you see is your sister. All of them, all created by our great God. Scarily this means that all the girls in your social circles and wider deserve the respect you would show your own sister.

We are called to live a Christ like life. If you can find me the passage in scripture where Jesus treats a woman as the butt of a joke, or as a stepping stone to glorify himself- Please let me know and I will delete this post and we can continue the way we are going.

In fact, Jesus treated women with nothing but respect. John 8:1-11 shows the moment when a prostitute was thrown naked in front of Jesus, and the pharisees questioned whether or not she should be stoned. Jesus challenged them- if you have not sinned throw the first stone. This piece of scripture is about not judging, but i believe it gives an insight into the respect and love Jesus showed to women, even a prostitute.

Lets man up and lead the way. Challenge yourself to be a man of God and not a man of this world. Let us not make snide jokes and make girls the a stepping stone to our gratification, but find this gratification by falling totally in love with another dude- Jesus. Make him your role model. When the prostitute was thrown in front of him he did not use her weakness to scoff and her, but to restore her. Start holding the girls you know up with love instead of stepping all over them, help them realize the incredible potential of their lives and not limit themselves to what we make them. 
Jesus acted when he had the prostitute thrown in front of him, he stood between her and the pharisees who wanted her killed. How many of us would have the balls to step between a girl we know and the rest of the group as we throw torrents of 'banter'. I know a lot of the time i wouldn't. I would let someone get ridiculed just because i would be worried that i might get laughed at or called a homo if i stood up for what is right- How manly of me. 

Brothers, lets start treating our Sisters in Christ for what they are- Sisters. Do not limit them, or use them as a stepping stone. Love them, hold them up and let them realize what they are- Created, loved and redeemed  by our God.

Girls- God has an unbelievable plan for your lives. A plan that is much bigger than having the piss taken out of you constantly, so don't convince yourselves of your worth by how we sometimes treat you. Find your worth in Jesus.

I don't feel like i am really done talking about this, I reckon I will add another post later. This is a blog I would really appreciate some feed back on- You might think I'm totally wrong or you might want to join me in trying to change the way we are, let me know either way. 

2 comments:

  1. Brother you are confirming a lot of my convictions over the past 6 months or so, especially whenever I hang out with the Bangor lot. Be bold and stand up for righteousness :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is great josh...as a girl, i agree and glad that you call girls out too..we act into it and are just as bad...this is something that we should differ in from the world!!

    ReplyDelete